Tuesday, July 29, 2008

our three day weekend

Tubing The Yampa River


Steph going down a raging river of death


Relaxing after a cool dip


Solomon Falls


The Naughty Wifey



Here at three forks we get our schedules one week at a time so we knew we had Sunday off but were unaware of our schedule for this week until we arrived back at the ranch around eleven o'clock in the evening. When I saw that we had Monday and Tuesday of as well I was disappointed at first because we missed out on being able to road trip up to Yellowstone. However we had a great time these last few days. We adventured and relaxed, Stephanie went for a facial at our spa, "so she can better promote them to guests :)" and we just enjoyed our time together.

Sunday we slept in and ate breakfast. Then got around to going into Steamboat, CO where we stocked up on supplies and enjoyed a local summer tradition of tubing the Yampa. I had never tubed any river so this was all new to me but Steph had before and she was very excited about our adventure. We went to Walmart, bought two black inner tubes, parked our car at the bottom and took the bus up to the top of town and put in. The funny thing is that I have seen people EVERY day we have been in Steamboat doing this. There are always crowds of locals standing around in their swimsuits and flotation devices. The buses are free here too, so its easy to park at the bottom and ride up. After our float we found our car and dried off and put cloths on in order to procure some dinner. We settled on Italian cuisine in the basement of the Bristol Hotel.

Monday it rained. We stayed in and enjoyed the smells and sounds of falling droplets reminding us that home is still Oregon. I spent some time on the computer and playing guitar. Steph finished a book. We both rested.

Tuesday we hiked to Solomon Falls where we both attempted a swim. It was rather cold. After our quick entrance into the waters of frigidity we relaxed and sunned ourselves on the rocks. A very pleasant afternoon. The only downside was before our swim Stephanie bent over to untie her shoe and her sunglasses fell into the river never to be seen again. At least they weren't expensive. Shortly after getting out of the river she went to retrieve some clothing and accidentally kicked mine in as well. Alas we no longer have protective eyewear. I may have to do some internet shopping after this post. I do enjoy getting packages, especially when they are from REI.

4 comments:

Cherilyn said...

That made me laugh about the sunglasses! More fun than tubing is... White water rafting! Go and try it!!!

Cherilyn said...

Oh yeah... i would mail you a Hermiston watermelon if I could. Do they have them there?

Anonymous said...

noooo...not the federale glasses!

Matthew and Stephanie said...

I know I feel bad to lose such a dignified pair of sunglasses. They were good for intimidating the bears that roam around our garbage which is right outside our employee entrance into the lodge. So I think I will buy another pair (of course I purchased them at REI. We do have watermelon but I don't know if its as good as Hermiston watermelon. Its not bad though.