Was the announcement over the intercom, as Stephanie and I perused the isles of the City Market grocery store and pharmacy. They went on to tout the greatness of the produce grown in the Pacific Northwest, as though it were a far off exotic land seen by a very lucky few. I am proud to say that I am even luckier to call it my home. Unfortunately due to the exotic nature of produce that comes from the Pacific Northwest, it is also very expensive. Blueberries and raspberries are some of my favorite and I think the going rate is five dollars for twenty berries. So needless to say I did not even bother checking out the nine dollar per pound cherries which had probably not been blessed by the long trip from their faraway native land. I did daydream about the last time I went to pick cherries. I think I ate about 3 pounds just while picking. Steph had to pull me out of my tree, which still had an abundance of fruit left to be picked! Cherry juice dribbling down my chin and staining my white tee-shirt, I stumbled euphorically toward where we had parked the car. Oh the wonder of picking fresh fruit! I can't believe they have a hard time finding people to do the work, it is an absolute joy for me. I may just volunteer my time at the nearest farm when I get back. Although I may need to cut back on eating so much while I pick, I seem to remember that eating that much fruit isn't good for one's digestive tract. It is pretty hazy though, it was a long time ago in a faraway land. Maybe that's why the cherry season is so short, to prevent people who can't resist from eating their weight in fruit. I know I certainly would if left to my own devices. I hear that there are wild berries that grow in some of the irrigation ditches here, and that the bears like to walk the ditch and eat the berries. I think it may be worth the risk to go find some of these fabled nougats of flavor.
Monday, July 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Well, just so you don't feel too bad about missing out on fresh "northwestern" berries and cherries :)...our season was terrible this year due to a late growing season and freak cold spells. There have been some good sales, but everything sells out fast. I'm hoping to use my raspberry rain check this week...but who knows if they'll get anymore in the store.
Should I freeze my 5 blueberries on my bush for you guys? You can eat them when you come back :)
Well that makes me feel a little better. Although I think you should eat your five blue berries. They are best when fresh. I loved laying under our bushes as a child and eating what I could reach in the shade of the branches.
The Hermiston Watermelons are fabulous this year too... they came out about 2 weeks ago. Too bad watermelon doesn't freeze!
Post a Comment