Sunday, January 27, 2008

January 26



Hello one and all!

It is Saturday night in Kauai and I have the night off. Matt is still at work. They give people with high liquor sales a night off on Saturday. The waiter I worked with last week sold a lot of liquor not me, I'm doing good this week though. I've sold 3 pitchers of Sangria so far. :-) We have had an interesting week so far. Matt was put into quarantine Monday night because he was sick that morning and with GI being such a concern, they have to be extra careful. We had permission to leave work early Monday night so that we could dine at the Bistro. It is our elegant French restaurant on board. It turned into a girls night and I had a very nice time with Kayla, a girl who works in the restaurant with me and who incidentally has lost her voice completely since then! Can't say a word! Hard to wait on tables when you cant talk! Anyway, that night she was not a silent companion and we enjoyed our date.
Matt came out of quarantine Tuesday night. We were very busy Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday night at Paniolos! 250 covers last night. Almost broke a liquor sales record on Wednesday. We were $20 away from breaking $1000 which is something our restaurant has never done.
Friday, there was a crew sponsored snorkeling trip with Snorkel Bob's in Kona. While the snorkeling was not near as good as our previous adventure in Kona, it was free! The sun was shinning, there was a breeze, wonderful water! It was a very nice afternoon.
We only have one more week in Hawaii on this ship!!!! On the 4th of February, we head across the Pacific for Long Beach CA. On the 9th we arrive get off the ship with all 900 other co-workers and 1800 passengers and catch buses to the airport where we go home or fly back to the remaining two Hawaiian ships. We will be joining the America on the 9th.
I guess it is quite the experience to be on a ship when it empties. I can't imagine 900 crew with all of their luggage trying to leave at the same time especially after being stuck on the ship for 5 days!!!! Your luggage has to be screened before you leave and you have to be checked out of your cabin!!! It is going to be a zoo but I look forward to being a part of it! :-) Matt and I have our two duffel bags so we will be OK.
We are excited about going to the America. It consistently beats us in guest satisfaction ratings and we hear it is a beautiful ship. The last month of our contract will go by very fast. March 15 we are home!!!!!!!!
Well, I should think of heading back to the ship. Matt will be done soon and I don't want him to think I've wondered into the ocean.
Love you all!!!
Steph

5 comments:

Shalisa said...

I have your Christmas card still here, on my counter...sorry. It won't really be a Christmas card anymore. I also have something else I've been meaning to send. Gotta get it out! If I send it this week will you still get it even with leaving the ship?

I think I'm having a baby. I mean, right now. I thought I was last Saturday...false alarm. But I'm used to those from last time, so I didn't get too excited. We'll see, maybe just more braxton hicks, I suppose time will tell. But I was starving so, decided I'd better eat something if it IS true labor cause I won't want to eat anything once it really starts up and I'll need some energy! :) Or maybe what I'm feeling is just hunger pangs and not birth pangs! Ha! I'll let you know when little Annora is born. Last night my mom called and wanted to know if she was on her way yet...and then referred to her as a boy...several times. I don't think she wanted us to have another girl. Weird. Anyway...

Continue having lots more adventure over there! Your sun and sand are sounding nice right about now compared to what we're getting. It's CHILLY! And yesterday it tried to snow again. Our outdoor exploits still contain an almost daily walk...we'll see though once Annora is born. I'll probably get lazy. And Ryan has this new RC car, gas powered, and so he runs it all over the place. Maddie actually LOVES it. Which is odd because she hates loud noises, and this thing is mega loud. But she adores it and talks constantly about it. Right now it's waiting for parts cause it's broken and she keeps asking, "Daddy, truck?" Haha. She understands broken, but doesn't remember apparently. She laughs hysterically whenever the truck flips over. What a hoot. When you're home you guys will have to play with it. It can drive as fast as a real car!

Aloha

(have you heard the Aloha Friday song yet?)

Ben said...

Every time I see your pictures I get so jealous. We have had snow in Eugene the past couple of days. Thanks for the postcard, I got it the other day. I hope all is well and don't have to much fun :)

Cherilyn said...

man! Sun, sand! We are having yet ANOTHER snow day here in non-sunny Idaho... we got 8 inches of snow yesterday and more is on the way tomorrow... March 15? Man that is so soon! See ya this spring, I guess! Cherilyn

The Drakes said...

Hey Guys! Those pics were amazing, Im glad you all will be back here soon. Hopefully we will get to catch up a little then. Im glad matt is feeling better - there has been lots of Norwalk Virus at OSH, lots of wards on quarantine (not mine) Ari is getting really big, but still hates to nap. Maybe I should purchase $20 of booze from you guys and then he would nap and you guys would be closer to breaking the liquor sales record! Its a win/win for everyone! We love you guys and hope you are doing wonderful. Keep up the great posts! Love, the drakes

Matthew and Stephanie said...

Sorry my pictures are making you jealous everybody. I'll try to take some more depressing pictures. Maybe like me working in the dish pit during a buffet shift.