In our last trip to the park we found a tour that gave Big Sky employees a free trip into the park as long as there was available space. So we called up a few days before our scheduled days off together and booked for Tuesday. The weather turned out to be nasty for taking photo's, but we were able to see quite a few animals and had fun. From time to time we do these tours and each time realize that we aren't really tour bus type people. I guess we would have never seen the same sights otherwise, but its just taxing to ride in a bus/van all day long. That said we did have fun and it was free. Our itinerary was basically driving in via firehole canyon to Old Faithful and out by the flatter road along the Madison river. In the middle we stopped for lunch at the new Snow Lodge at O.F. It was a tasty lunch at a very affordable price. We are used to paying elevated rates whenever the location is remote and the competition does not exist. After lunch we stood out in the cold and waited for the geyser to blow... it did. The pictures I took of it were pretty boring with white snow foreground, white geyser mist, and white cloud background - so I deleted them all. I guess if you want to see what it looked like just open notepad, then maximize the window... pretty cool huh.
Well, here are the animals we saw, they were fun to watch. I was hoping to be more in awe, I guess I wanted to see herds of a thousand animals. Maybe even a pack of wolves take down an elk in an all out run-for-your-life, heart pounding chase. I guess my expectations, were a little to high. I've been watching the Planet Earth documentaries lately.
Our tour guide told us a story about the Bison in the park that really stood out to me. Bison have always lived in and around Yellowstone. Even though in 1902 only 50 existed and the Park Service fearing extinction added numbers from domestic herds. Now there are 3500 that roam the Park. However being that they potentially carry Brucellosis, they are slaughtered whenever they try to leave the park. Last winter was especially hard because of the massive amounts of snowfall across the nation, so many bison tried to leave. To prevent the potential spread of Brucellosis to cattle the Dept of Ag. slaughtered 1200 animals. I guess it just makes me sad that animals that used to roam freely according to their needs and nature are now restricted. It makes me realize that the scar of sin on our world extends to all creatures. Someday we will live in a New Heaven and New Earth where sin has no hold and we live in perfect community with one another and a Holy God.
Well, here are the animals we saw, they were fun to watch. I was hoping to be more in awe, I guess I wanted to see herds of a thousand animals. Maybe even a pack of wolves take down an elk in an all out run-for-your-life, heart pounding chase. I guess my expectations, were a little to high. I've been watching the Planet Earth documentaries lately.
Our tour guide told us a story about the Bison in the park that really stood out to me. Bison have always lived in and around Yellowstone. Even though in 1902 only 50 existed and the Park Service fearing extinction added numbers from domestic herds. Now there are 3500 that roam the Park. However being that they potentially carry Brucellosis, they are slaughtered whenever they try to leave the park. Last winter was especially hard because of the massive amounts of snowfall across the nation, so many bison tried to leave. To prevent the potential spread of Brucellosis to cattle the Dept of Ag. slaughtered 1200 animals. I guess it just makes me sad that animals that used to roam freely according to their needs and nature are now restricted. It makes me realize that the scar of sin on our world extends to all creatures. Someday we will live in a New Heaven and New Earth where sin has no hold and we live in perfect community with one another and a Holy God.
2 comments:
That looks like an awesome ride! :)
I love your pics! That new camera is awesome, really treating you well. Cant wait to see you guys when youre back in Salem! KD
Post a Comment