Saturday, November 3, 2007

Week 1 in Hawaii

So we are finally here!!! Both Stephanie and I are way excited to be here. Unfortunately I can't seem to get the xd card reader to read our camera memory card and I left the cable aboard. I'm sitting outside of McDonalds in Kauai right now so I'll have some pictures up later. :) You'll just have to close your eyes between sentences and imagine what I'm saying.

We are both very excited to be working and explore Hawaii. There is so much to say I don't really know where to start. We both work at the same restaurant and have meet a lot of people who are all very understanding of our ignorance for the time being. During our first couple of days we spent a fair amount of time being lost and just wandering around the ship. I think both Steph and I are pretty well able now to get from our cabins to work to the crew mess and back. Unfortunately we do not have the same cabins, I don't think that will probably change, but we are still checking into it. We both do have good room mates, Steph's are from the states and mine are all from the Phillipines. I may have to learn Tagalog so I know what they are saying. Actually they all speak English as well. They are all really clean, so I feel pretty lucky especially after seeing some other rooms around the ship. Steph's roommates are all from the states, they are really nice and considerate. I don't know if we will do this for as long as we originally planned if we don't have a room together. But for now we are doing just fine and it looks like we will have a little bit of time off together between shifts. For work God has totally taken care of our fears, we have worked several shifts and rather than being back waiters we have gotten duties like escorting guests to their seats and resetting tables. Work has been a lot of fun so far! Last night was lobster/prime rib night so it was really busy. One of the guests (a lady about 150#) ordered 7 lobster tails and 2 cuts of prime rib on top of salad, app. and dessert. There are some big eaters here!

Well aside form missing all you west-coasters we are doing great, we'll try to post some pictures soon. This ship is HUGE and beautiful.

*O wow, a chicken just ran past me*

I guess I am in Kauaii, I think I'll go sit on the beach and read.

4 comments:

Shalisa said...

YEAH! I'm so glad things are going well for you (except the part about no room together) I'm the tiniest bit envious. :) Will be praying that some "upper up" will befriend you and look kindly upon you as a couple and find it in their generous soul to find a room for you guys! Do you know the Hawaiian friday song they play on the radio? My in laws always listened to the Maui station and there is a cute fun song they play on Fridays, I'm sure you'll hear it...might not apply to you, but it's a fun sing along song anyway.

Cherilyn said...

Hey Cousins!
It sounds like you are fitting in well! I am laughing quietly about the fact that you aren't in the same room... Sorry, it is funny, but I feel for ya. Matt, AWESOME that you are with Filipinos! Grandpa would be so proud! Learn a little for us all and teach us on your time off! Whog Uma Ehee Dito- not sure how to spell it, but it means something like "do not urinate here" which is on signs in the Phillipines- according to our Kintner higher-ups. I thought you guys were children's directors? Miss you both and wish you well! Keep on posting! If you miss me :) you can read my funny stories at www.cherilynspencer.blogspot.com
Cherilyn

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt and Steph!!!
I'm so glad you guys are finally there!! Living the dream!
Hope the room thing works out soon, then life will be perfect!
Miss you already, and look forward to our next trip to Coldstone!!!!
Love you guys,
-Kirsten

The Drakes said...

Hey guys! Sorry about the separate cabins. that totally blows! Things in OR are OK. Cheers guys, have a great time in the ocean, hope there isnt any need to evacuate!
the drakes